Re: Mailing-list misconfiguration?

On 09/11/2020 20:16, Rhialto wrote:
On Mon 09 Nov 2020 at 08:55:51 +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
In comparison, my "From" header to the FreeBSD mailing lists are
rewritten in the form of:

From: Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions%freebsd.org@localhost>

Personally, I would consider everything that changes my From: header
to be a misrepresentation and fraud. So SPF and DKIM are... not my
favourites.

Well no. The first message in the thread doesn't come from the OP. It comes from the mailing list, impersonating the OP. Mailing list software(s) that change the headers have all the rights to do so. It is common practice, it works and nobody gets hurt.

Different story is when you get subsequent messages from other recipients if you are cc:'d directly.

--
Ottavio Caruso