utf-8, Englush, Japanese

What is current best practice for working with UTF-8 encoding?  I have
a project which requires editing of mixed English and Japanese text.
Setting LC_ALL to en_GB.UTF-8 cause the warning:

Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged

with every X-related command, but I do not know which C library.  Vim
fails to display Japanese characters in an xterm, but will if it  is
called via a uxterm, which seems to have no manpage for NetBSD.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>