Re: NetBSD 9.1 upgrade and file system crash - reboot fails

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 12:34:27PM +0100, BERTRAND Jol wrote:

> 	I refuse Seagate, Samsung and other WD in my servers or workstations,
> and I refuse SMR technology also.

I have heard this sort of thing from many people over the years, they
get bitten by a few disk failures and form a bias based on that.  I used
to do this too but found that it seems to change from model to model.
Here are some interesting stats from a large scale HDD deployment:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q2-2020/

Indeed, from these numbers, hitachi seem to be doing well overall but
for the other manufacturers it really depends on the model you buy.

As for SMR - it is not a big deal as long as you are aware of it (some
manufacturers were caught out hiding the fact that a disk was SMR) and
use the disk accordingly, there are some applications that SMR is
particularly bad for - you don't want to use them for ZFS but for a
NTFS/FFS file system they seem to be fine.

--
Brett Lymn
--

"We are were wolves",