Re: ntpdate(8) and unbound(8) dependencies during boot

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 08:41:05AM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> OK but you still need to connect to some server, be it NTP or HTTPS in
> order to get the initial time. If you can't rely on DNS (and you don't
> want to dynamically modify DNS server/resolver config to ignore clock
> skew), then you still have to hard code IP address somewhere. This was
> one of the objections raised by some people on this list, as they
> didn't want to use IP address for some reason.

For things w/o RTC clock (that are unlikely to travel from airport wlan
to next airport wlan) I usually do not want them to use any *external*
IPs at all (while for me hard coded or dhcp provided local IPs work fine).

I also do not want my ISP, Cloudflare, Google, or some hacker having access
at either of them to be able to tell when "some thing" in my local network
boots.

Martin