Re: BSDstats

However, the infrastructure (server and client package) still exists and could be reused.

It is imaginable to determine a set of indicators of use to BSD OS developers to make their decisions,
update client and server software accordingly,
include client software in base
and update OS installers to advertise its existence and easily allow its activation.

This is what Debian does with its popularity-contest package, for instance.

It could be used to answer questions such as:

- Which platforms are used and how popular they are
- How does their use evolve over time

- How often are packages used in proportion of
the total number of installations
- Which packages are used together (= usage profiles)
- How many installations are currently active (= have contacted the bsdstats.org server within the last month)
- Which
(OS and/or packages) versions are currently in use (= upgrade behaviours)