Re: X server crashes after updating from 7.1 to 8.2

On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 09:12:23PM +0200, r0ller wrote:
I also had similar experience with i915 drmkms so I ended up generating an xorg.conf and added the option AccelMethod in the device section like this which solved the issue:

Option    "AccelMethod"    "uxa"

This indeed helped me a lot!  Thanks!

Actually, when I received your email I was just upgrading to 9.0. I decided to first startx without this option and it happened that the experience with intel was the worst experience in all NetBSDs ever. Unlike NetBSD 7.1 that sometimes drawed strange patterns on the screen and NetBSD 8.2 that sometimes crashed X, in NetBSD 9.0 I get an utterly unusable X section, with mixed pixels, characters and mismatch between mouse pointer and window locations.

Also, my dmesg was full of messages like that:

[   114.452971] 00017300 :  0000026e
[   114.452971] 00017304 :  00000000
[   114.452971] 00017308 :  00000267
[   114.452971] 0001730c :  00000000
[   114.452971] 00017310 :  00000220

Is it a memory dump?

I cannot see the beginning of the messages because they filled my entire dmesg buffer (I can compile a kernel with larger kern.msgbufsize if developers are interested in this).

But 'Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"' solved everything like magic. I should RTFM before asking :-)

I have this computer up for only 20 minutes, but I observe no crash for now. I'll let you know if something strange happens.

That option is also mentioned in "man intel" but if I understand it correctly it is somewhat slower than the default "sna" method. Since then, I have no more  crashes but it's indeed slower.

I'm not running any graphics intensive application to notice any difference and YouTube on Firefox plays fine, but let's see how far it goes.

Thank you again.