Re: MSI Radeon RX570 ARMOR MK2 8G OC 8GB Graphics Card

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 7:07 AM Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch%kollasch.net@localhost> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 09:34:14PM -0500, Clay Daniels wrote:
> I have a computer I built last September from parts ordered at mostly
> NewEgg. I'm having trouble getting X to load and suspect the video card.
> Anyone in NetBSD land have a similar type setup?
> ---
> NewEgg_build:
> Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
> MSI X570-A PRO Motherboard
>
> MSI Radeon RX570 ARMOR MK2 8G OC 8GB Graphics Card

Far far too new.  The support cut-off is just after first or second
generation GCN at this point.  RX570 is something like GCNv4 or GCNv5
IIRC.

Jonathan, thanks for the reply that is actually helpful  to know.  Robert Nestor has been helping me off the list, and we have tried crafting xorg.conf files to get the screen to load. And per Bob's suggestion I built a new kernel that includes:
VGA_CONSOLE_ATI_BROKEN_FONTSEL
VGA_RASTERCONSOLE

I will try more xorg.conf files, but I was hoping there was someone out here that had a similar video card to the MSI Radeon RX570 ARMOR MK2 8G OC 8GB. Of course I am not just dealing with the video card but the motherboard too. I tried to match them, but I guess it was just too new. I am not a gamer but modeled my build after gaming builds because they generally build the newest & fastest machines.

I like NetBSD, and I'm writing this email on NetBSD 9.0 located on my older 2014 HP Pavilion, where X "just works", no config required.

Clay