Git pkgsrc - setting file locations

I have been working awhile now with the GIT pkgsrc, and it occurs to me that it might be an advantage to provide different locations for things such as distfiles, packages, and...what else?

What is suggested, and where/how is the optimum method for altering these values?

Thank you

--
 A test of right and wrong must be the means, one would
 think, of ascertaining what is right or wrong, and not a

                                  J. S. Mill