Re: cvs better than git?

On 2020-06-21 17:55, Andreas Krey wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 17:26:05 +0000, Johnny Billquist wrote:
What? I can't believe you are ignorant enough to not know that each file
in cvs have a version number for each commit on it.

ETOOLONGAGO; this is starting to slip my mind.
Yes, files have revision numbers. But they are nearly useless, and...

Or refer to a revision at a certain point in time.

...referring to a specific time is the closest you can do.

There is no way to refer to the state of the entire tree at the
point a given file was committed in a given revision.

See.. That is, in my book (and not only mine) a serious broken pattern.
You do not commit before reviewing.

To review, you need a full description of the changes: Diffs, added
files, removed files, renamed files. And the intended commit message.
The data structure that can already represent this is, well, a commit.

This goes doubly when you don't want to commit an entire feature
in a single commit - for the review you then need to further specify
which changes shall go into which commit.

Thus the easiest way to give to a review what you want to commit is
to actually commit it and let the reviewers inspect (and the CI test) that.

But ok, if that is how you work, then I guess there is not much I can
learn from you in that area. Oh well.

You're a bit hung up on the word 'commit', and the finality of commits
in some VCSes, it seems.

So are obviously everyone using git in combination with gerrit...

You could also argue that the whole point of a VCS is that once it's in there, it's immutable, available to everyone, can be rolled forward and backward, have history and metadata, and so on... Otherwise you can just as well just edit your files in your directory, and that's your VCS.

And anyone else you work with can get a copy through mail of the current state, or if you are fancy, they can copy directly from you directory...
Instant snapshot...
Who knows if it works or not. But it's always the bleeding edge...

  Johnny