Re: cvs better than git?

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 2:09 PM Gua Chung Lim <gua.chunglim%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> * Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:
> > Mercurial? no go: python, please not. Just for this reason, maybe it would
> > be perfect if written in equivalent C/C++! And please, don't cite me
> > "rust"... even worse. Core things should be written with core tools.
> >
> > Maybe some sort of "anonymous checkout" of mercurial exists written in C?
> I will emphasize on the language being used.
> I agree with you with exception of C++.
> Cores of all Unix-liked systems should be coded in only C and nothing else.
> Previously I used FreeBSD with inclusion of cvsup out of the box.
> IIRC, cvsup was coded in Modular-3, which was acceptable for historical reason.
> FreeBSD then offerred the alternative named csup,
> which was cvsup-equivalent in C version. I was very glad.
> But csup had too short life. FreeBSD then switched to svn a year later.
> Whether or not svn is good, csup developers' hearts were already broken.
> But svn is still coded in C. It is still acceptable.
> Git was born outside BSD land. But it is still coded in C.
> Linux is also considered a Unix-liked operating system.
> cvs in NetBSD is also coded in C. (But it is much criticized.)
> I don't see any good reasons to implement Hg in rust or python.
> Please do not say C is hard to implement and maintain the code.
> Kernels for nearly all operating systems in the world were coded in C.
> How can all developers implement or maintain the code?
> C is very well mature, It has been around here for many decades.
> And it is much more portable than any other languages including C++,
> which has too many standards.
> And C++ committee doesn't even care backward compatability.
> So please adhere with only C, like what POSIX does.

C++ has become a mess. It no longer feels like a superset of C.

I'd settle for something like embedded C++ 03 with exceptions. That is
mostly C with objects, and you get the automatic cleanup. I'd like to
have lambda's and auto, but then we start getting the extra baggage
and bloat of C++ 11 and above.

Embedded C++ is usually a good choice. Consider, the Mars rovers are