Re: requesting support for persistent memory

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 08:29 PM IST, Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 14:13:57 +0200
> mayuresh%kathe.in@localhost <mayuresh%kathe.in@localhost> wrote:
>
> > i noticed; https://pmem.io/
> > they are supporting windows and linux using some
> > 'dax' (direct-access) technology. would netbsd experts too work
> > towards bringing-in support for persistent memory? i believe it could
> > pave the way for a new breed of applications since it's a whole new
> > programming paradigm.
> >

> I thought it was mmap(2) followed by msync(2). Job done!
>
> Joking aside, isn't that what HP tried to do with "The Machine" project
> years ago, but then it all went rather quiet.

i don't know anything about "the machine" project by 'hp' nor do i have any idea about why it might've gone quiet, other than that it must've gone the "ia64" route of technological innovations from 'hp' labs, but intel's optane (the most popular implementation of "persistent memory") is selling like hot-cakes in the market right now. in fact, my new lenovo laptop (which is a low-end core-i3 machine) has optane memory chips soldered right onto the motherboard.