Re: setting file creation time of a date

riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost (Riccardo Mottola) writes:

>I can with lstat get it and on copy of a file, set it using by using
>utime(3) or utimensat(3)

>But can I set the creation time? I'd like to be able to preserve it when
>dealing with files.

This is explained in the utimes manpage. utimensat() will set the
birth time when the modification time predates the current birth time.

So you cannot set a future date. But e.g. creating a file, setting
modification time to birth time, then in a second call setting the
modification time to the real modification time, will do what you
want.

To set a later birth time you need to travel into the future
(e.g. by manipulating the system clock) and be careful to avoid
paradoxes when you dare to come back.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost