Re: Testing a password

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 6:27 PM Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I found the master password file. The passwords that were set (root,
> cvs, my account)
> all start with $sha$ -- so the passwords are encrypted using SHA?
>
> If I write a PERL program that checks passwords (cant use crypt), how would I do
> this? Any particular modules I need?

You might also try John the Ripper (JtR) if you are doing the password
cracking thing.

I believe JtR works best when you have a NVIDIA card with CUDA. The
program will parallelize to the number of cores, like 1024 or 1280.
Without CUDA it should still use a SIMD unit, like SSE2.

Also see https://www.openwall.com/john/.

Jeff