Booting from a USB disk

Hi,

I've installed NetBSD on an external USB disk and made sure its /etc/fstab was correct. However, when I reboot on this disk, I have a "Heap full" error and the machine boots on its internal disk.
If I drop to the boot prompt and type "boot hd0:", NetBSD boots normally.
My guess is that I need to set some additional option in some configuration file. With FreeBSD, I need to set vfs.mountroot.timeout="10" in /boot/loader.conf, for instance.

Can someone tell me what I should do for NetBSD in this case?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent