Re: UEFI serial console including boot menu?

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 10:03, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:03:24PM +0100, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> > Nothing to do with NetBSD. Get into the UEFI menu and navigate to the
> > console options.
>
> But that is also the downside: if the firmware does not offer serial console,
> the bootblocks can not provide it either. This is a severe regression from
> biosboot, but it seems tricky to fix.

Yes, but in practice on systems which have serial interfaces and on
which it makes sense the console to be on a serial port, the UEFI
would offer the option; it surely doesn't offer it on my laptop as it
is pointless - there is no serial port.

Fixing this would allow for, say, repurposing old UEFI laptops with
serial ports to be used as servers; I have one of these with damaged
screen and partially non-functional AMG FirePro graphics card which
run -current and is used for regular system builds, pkgsrc and
qemu-nvmm; I'd be happy to remove the graphics completely and use the
serial port as a console, but it is a limited use case.

> Martin

Chavdar

--
----