Re: NetBSD-9 GPT on disks smaller than 2TB

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 11:09:07 +0100
David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 at 10:58, Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost>
> wrote:
> >
> > cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost (Sad Clouds) writes:
> >
> > >Hi, assuming I'm using a system that doesn't require UEFI and
> > >disks are smaller than 2TB in size. Is there any advantage of
> > >using GPT vs the old disklabel scheme? Also if I want to use a
> > >partition (not whole disk) for ZFS, are there any weird
> > >interaction/restrictions with GPT?
> >
> > Advantage might be portability and the availability of partition
> > names.
> >
> > For ZFS it's best to use whole disks (and multiple of these). If you
> > want to use a partition, it doesn't really matter if it is a slice
> > (with disklabel) or wedge (with GPT).
>
> One issue - importing zpools from disklabel partitions does not Just
> Work (wedges are OK). You have to create a new dev directory with just
> the relevant device nodes). Only an issue if you need to import (eg
> disks renumbered)
>
> David

Thanks guys, I'll keep this in mind. I've not used GPT that much, but
looking at /etc/fstab entries I see

NAME="XXX" / ffs rw,log 1 1

Since partitions are found by ID, does this mean swapping disks between
different SATA/SCSI ports will still result in correct partitions found
on boot?