Re: Boot failure netbsd-9

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 11:57:25AM -0700, bch wrote:
> I presume you mean ?tmpfs on /dev? above.

yes

> A line like:
>
> tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw
>
> ...in /etc/fstab is what we?re talking about? No conflicts expected w an
> existing ?tmpfs ...? entries as long as ea. has unique mount point?

No, no entry in /etc/fstab.
What I usually do when setting this up: boot from some other medium (in
my case typically with / on NFS), then mount the real root disk on /mnt,
and then something like:

  mv /mnt/dev/MAKEDEV /mnt/etc
  find /mnt/dev -type c | xargs rm
  find /mnt/dev -type b | xargs rm

Usually on systems where I do this I also edit /mnt/etc/fstab
and add "noatime" to the / mount line (but this is unrelated).

On reboot init(8) will notice that /dev is not properly populated, create
a uninon mounted tmpfs on /dev and populate if from /etc/MAKEDEV.

Martin