Re: Starting X on NetBSD 9.0 -- Solved!

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020, Clay Daniels wrote:

Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 20:48:49 +0000 (UTC)
From: Clay Daniels <clays.shell%SDF.ORG@localhost>
To: netbsd-users <netbsd-users%NetBSD.org@localhost>
Subject: Re: Starting X on NetBSD 9.0

Thanks to all who gave me pointers. I tried a variety of things without success. I have wiped my nice little 954Gb ssd, set it to MBR using Gpart from my FreeBSD drive, and re-installed 9.0 NetBSD to the mbr ssd. It went on real clean, and this time I even setup pkgin to enable installation of binary packages, a step I skipped before.

Oh, this time I accepted the default root shell as sh, not csh which is normally root shell for freebsd. I did this because the netbsd csh does not work as well as netbsd sh.

So now I'm wading into this VERY SLOWLY.

More later, Clay

---
I'm writing this email from an xterm in Tom's Window Manager (TWM), that just started at the command of "startx", no configuration made or apparaently required. I'm using a shell ssh account with my email provider sdf.org, so I didn't even have to install firefox or thunderbird. I will do all that later, but did want to let folks what finally worked.

After trying repeatedly to get NetBSD 9.0 to start X on my new machine I built last September, I decided to install on my old machine, a 2014 HP Pavilion that came with Windows 8.1. Nice little all in one machine. I tried loading 9.0 from an iso on a dvd, but it never worked for me. Then I tried a usb thumbdrive with NetBSD-9.0-amd64-install.img. (Not uefi-install). I went through the install, rebooted, loged in, looked around, and ran "startx". It just workd! NetBSD seems real happy here.

Clay