Re: trouble resolving protonmail.ch, dnssec, seems netbsd-specific maybe

On 25/03/2020 16:58, Havard Eidnes wrote:
This has just got a lot worse. As of about 20 minutes ago I've had to
completely disable dnssec validation on my NetBSD 8.1-stable servers
as I had a complete loss of name resolution. Every domain was failing
to resolve (e.g www.google.com). This was with dnssec-validation set
to auto. After setting this to off all dns resolution immediately
started working again.

I can't fully explain that, I'm afraid.  The /etc/named.conf shipped
in netbsd-8 also contains the "new" root key which is still in use to
this day, so that part should be OK.

Auto seems to download new keys that replace the keys distributed. Its possible something has gone wrong with the key distribution infrastructure and my current keys expired and I wasn't able to get new ones. I need it to work for a few hours so I'll have to run with it turned off for a few hours at least.

I will experiment with re-enabling auto (and also trying yes) and seeing what happens later on once I'm not on the work clock.

The only similar thing I have experienced is that if your local clock
is way off you can get similar symptoms (yes, the coin cell keeping my
RTC running is apparently "out of juice" on at least one of my old
machines), since DNSSEC signatures have validity intervals which
relate to "real timestamps", and if your clock is outside of the
validity interval, DNS name resolution (and in particular DNSSEC
validation) will fail with SERVFAIL being returned as the error code
to the client.

Both DNS servers have ntpd running and I would have got a nagios alert had either of them dropped out of sync so I can at least eliminate that one.

Mike