Re: ZFS on rpi3

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 09:08:46 +1100
MJ <mafsys1234%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On 23/02/2020 1:12 am, Sad Clouds wrote:
> > I'm trying out NetBSD-9 with ZFS on raspberry pi 3. I have 128GB
> > USB SD card which has ZFS setup. Noticed that sometimes when under
> > heavy use something goes wrong and pgdaemon spins on CPU 100% all
> > the time.
> >
> > Not sure if this is something to do with small amount of RAM on this
> > machine. Are there any tunables like in FreeBSD
> >
> > vm.kmem_size="330M"
> > vm.kmem_size_max="330M"
> > vfs.zfs.arc_max="40M"
> > vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="5M"
> >
> > that make ZFS play nice when low on RAM? Looked at "sysctl -a" but
> > there are only kstat parameters, I assume they are only for
> > statistics and don't affect run-time?
>

> ZFS on Raspberry Pi? Nope. Not enough memory. Stick to FFS.
>
> Even a Pi 4 still doesn't have enough, unless all you want to use it
> for is run ZFS and NOTHING else.

Yeah, I noticed at lot of system issues/crashes with ZFS on rpi3, so
far FFS has been pretty stable. Although I do have 4GiB rpi4, not
tried it with ZFS yet, but I would have thought that this amount of
RAM would have been sufficient. I've seen some references on the net
that state 8GiB is the minimum, however I have 2GiB NetBSD VM in a
VirtualBox with ZFS configured and not seen any issues over the last
few days of random testing.