Re: Unable to boot to install 8.1 and 9.0 RC2 on amd64 Laptop

Hi John,

you don't carry good news, but I don't know how similar our laptops are.

John D. Baker wrote:
Booting w/o ACPI gets up to detecting the NVIDIA graphics card which isn't
supported.  It used to just panic later when attaching the console, but
now at least skips it as unsupported and stays in VGA text mode.

I have ATI. Extra checked when getting this machine: I try to avoid nVidia: it works well only with the official binary drivers, so only FreeBSD and Linux.

Following that, it gets as far as detecting the hard disk but then hangs
while detecting the optical drive.  Random fumbling on the keyboard, or
a quick press of the power switch usually helps it over this bump.

Booting w/o ACPI and w/o SMP lets it boot all the way to multiuser with
no user intervention.

So you get actually further than me... no fiddling helpes for me

At some point during the 9.0 release cycle, the default "/boot.cfg"
file had the menu options to boot w/o ACPI and w/o ACPI, SMP removed.
You can still do so by using the option to drop to the boot prompt
and giving:

   boot: boot /netbsd -12

(-1 disables SMP and -2 disables ACPI)

I tried booting with -12 and this gets me up to:

powernow0 at cpu0: AMD Cool'n'Quiet

Argh!

Some lines before, I read this:

pckbc: cmd word write error

What's that?

Riccardo

PS: I tried booting the OpenBSD 6.6 and that works fine!!
I'll try Alpine Linux later today