Re: Xorg from Base or pkgsrc - recommendations?

Hello everybody,

Many thanks for the many answers and the valuable assessments. As it is now for me, both approaches have their right to exist.

I personally see Xorg in base's ability to be cross-compiled as important. I have already benefited from this on my Banana Pi. It makes a difference whether I only have to install a window manager after writing the image to the SD card or compile a complete Xorg.

It would also be interesting to see whether it is seen as an advantage that Xorg in Base has a closer link with regard to synchronous adjustments of kernel-side code (KMS?) And the corresponding Xorg drivers. At least in theory that sounds like an advantage to me.

Since it works stable for me at the moment, I will stay on Xorg from base on my desktops and use modular Xorg primarily for servers on which I only have to fulfill one or the other X11 dependency.

Best wishes
Matthias