Re: Xorg from Base or pkgsrc - recommendations?

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 03, 2020 at 09:58:29PM +0100, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> Dear NetBSD-users,
>
> for many years, X11/Xorg provided the basis for graphical user interfaces on
> Unix-like systems; so on NetBSD. It was therefore always a relief for me to
> be able to install it ready for use as part of the base system.
>
> In the meantime there is also X11/Xorg in pkgsrc and I wonder what reasons -
> in particular on the amd64 platform - speak for one or the other approach. I
> ask especially because I recently had some problems with both approaches.
>[...]

There is one very good incentive for X11 provided with the system: it
can use the compilation and thus the cross-compilation framework to be
built. This is clearly a bonus when one is using architectures for which
a cross-compilation does save a lot of time.

This is, at least for me, one very good reason to have X11 back in the
sources. A NetBSD system is a consistent system that, already "as is",
can provide the means to do real work (I know that I indeed add only my
own softwares on top of it---well: I add sendmail and procmail too, but
they do cross-compile without ado...).

This will not answer "the" question but the side question: why in the
sources too.

Cheers,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/