8.1 sysinst script/logging failures

As suggested in a different thread, sysinst has the capability to log the steps it took to create an install as a shell script.  Unfortunately when I tried it I got failures with an NetBSD-8.1-amd64.iso image running under VirtualBox 5.2.6.  The path I took through sysinst was as follows:

a: installation messages in English
a:unchanged (keyboard type)
e:utility menu
e:logging functions
a:logging: on
b:scripting: on
x:exit
x:exit
a:install netbsd to hard disk
b:yes
a:wd0 (16GB, vbox harddisk)
a:this is the correct geometry
b:use the entire disk
a:yes (do you want to install the netbsd bootcode)
b:use existing partition sizes
x:partition sizes ok
name:(blank)

at this point I get a segfault and the terminal appears to be in noecho mode:

[1]   Segmentation fault      ${cmd}

If I repeat the above and put in a name for the disk, I get the same error.

/tmp/sysinst.log contains:
executing: gpt -qr header wd0
Creating disklabel VBOX HARDDISK   in /tmp/disktab.VBOX HARDDISK
executing: sh -c 'cat /tmp/disktab.* > /tmp/disktab'

/tmp/sysinst.sh contains:
gpt -qr header wd0
cat <<EOF >> /etc/disktab
(a disk tab entry, however it appears to contain a lot of control characters, not just printable ascii)
EOF
sh -c 'cat /tmp/disktab.* > /tmp/disktab'

I am happy to run up a 9.0_RC1 and test the same there.  At the moment I don't have this VM in a state where I can copy files from it, so my description above is necessarily vague for the content of /etc/disktab - /tmp/disktab looks fine with no binary characters that I can see ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert