Basic vt100 console "noisy"

I'm having real trouble with my console window if I'm not running an X window. There is constant system "chatter" about devices and such that interupts what I'm trying to do. The worst problem is when I try to use vi and it interupts me in mid-line. I realize it may be my old machine, a 2014 HP Pavilion23 All-in-one. But I have allocated the whole disk to NetBSD, and would like to get it to work. I'm going to try a re-install, but will hold off to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to "quiet down" the console "chatter".

Thanks,
Clay

clays.shell%sdf.org@localhost
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org