Re: twm and ctwm

Thank you guys for confirming this.
I do use X, but spectrwm. I got used to tiling and can't work with floating windows anymore.
Also, I never launch X as root, tty is more than enough. So, both ctwm and twm are useless to me. I do understand they are really small, but I'm a minimalist and 3 wms feels a bit bloat ;)
Once again thank you for your input.

-------- Originalmeddelande --------
På 15 nov. 2019 14:46, Greg Troxel < gdt%lexort.com@localhost> skrev:

voidpin <voidpin%protonmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I would like to know if twm and ctwm can be safely removed from the system.
> I know they are included in the base, but they are also useless to me, so I would like to remove them.

If you mean

on some system I am running, can I just "rm /usr/X11R7/bin/twm"?

then sure, go right ahead. That will cause trying to run it to result
in "twm: command not found" instead of running it. Even if that
happens, it's not a big deal and the big point is that it's possible to
recover from it.

Generally if you want a really tiny system you can remove a lot,
starting by not installing the sets for things you don't need.

If you are running X, and running some other desktop environment, then I
would wonder why you are bothering. On netbsd-8 amd64, twm is 217488,
which is less than rounding error for the files included in most
desktops.

You could also delete xlogo, xeyes, xbiff, and many others in X, and
many other things in bin, if you don't need them. Just make sure you
are able to boot your system single user, and from a recovery CD, so
that if you go too far you can get back.

I would advise leaving libc and init alone :-)