Re: sync netbsd drive with Windows 10

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 18:07, Bob Bernstein <bob%fanatick.org@localhost> wrote:

> Request for Suggestions:
>
> I am gathering what will ultimately be about 100G of files on my
> amd64 Netbsd (an old eMachine windows box itself) system's
> original HD.
>
> That system as well as my Windows 10 (running off a NUC) are
> cat-5 wired into the LAN upstairs here in the house.
>
> The NUC now has a WD 1TB "Passport" external USB drive attached
> to it.
>
> What tools are suggested for keeping that external drive synched
> with the dir in play on the Netbsd machine?

So, 1TB drive ~permanently attached to Windows10 box, synced with 100G
on a NetBSD box.

If either machine is ~always on, old school options would include
- SMB share to the NetBSD box and run rsync on it
- Periodic rsync to rsyncd
- Periodic cron run of unison (Useful if changes happen both ends)

If both come and go intermittently its becomes more entertaining, or
if you want closer to 'real time' updates'

I've had good experiences running syncthing to sync data between a set
of NetBSD boxes (some directories being master on one machine only and
pushing out, others allowing changes from multiple ends). Its cross
platform. It might be overkill for just two boxes, but it copes with
machines and networks coming and going well, has good include/include
rules and if you find yourself with an offsite box to which you want
to sync part of the data it drops in nicely. On NetBSD last I checked
you needed to disable automatic change watches on at least larger data
sets (I'm running with ~10TB).

David