Extended Attribute support

Hi,

I was trying to use extended attributes on NetBSD 8.1 and according to
mount(8) this should be supported for UFS1 file systems when mounted with
extattr:

  # newfs -O 1 /dev/rwd1a
  # mount -t ffs -o extattr /dev/wd1a /mnt/test/
  # cd /mnt/test && touch foo
  # setextattr system bar baz foo
  setextattr: foo: failed: Operation not supported

  # dmesg | tail -1
  /mnt/test: failed to start extattr: error = 2

  # config -x /netbsd | grep EXTA
  options         UFS_EXTATTR  # Extended attribute support for UFS1

Formatting with 4.3BSD results in the same error, formatting with FFSv2
only changes the error code:

  /mnt/test: failed to start extattr: error = 45

Searching around, I came across kern/30058 (and added the same there), but
the original report is from 2005 and I keep finding list postings from
after that date[0][1] suggesting that extended attributes are in fact
working. So, maybe kern/30058 is obsolete and I'm missing something?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Christian.

[0] https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2012/02/06/msg012664.html