Re: More ZFS testing in 9.0_BETA

Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 13:53, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> FYI - as I mentioned it elsewhere - I modified my qemu-nvmm VMs from
>> GPT slices and raw files to zvols without any problems. My next test
>> would be to see if I can ISCSI-share a zvol - which should work.
>
> It does, as expected, but is a bit slow. I tested using something
> called IsMyHDOk, the resulting benchmark was 17.7; using a ZVOL
> FreeNAS target over the same slowish connection I get 42.2; for
> comparison on the same laptop the second rusty SATA HDD gives me
> 175.7, whilst the first M.2 SATA gives me  972.1.
>
> It is in no way the right way to use iSCSI - the laptop is connected
> wirelessly to an access point; the adapter clams current speed 866.7
> mb/s (?), which then links to the upstairs room via a powerline
> adapter, advertised az 1gb/s, but which has never given me anything
> better than about 130mb/s - but then the link to the FreeNAS zvol goes
> through the same route and on top of this FreeNAS is a XCP-NG guest,
> whereas the NetBSD laptop is using a gigabit Ethernet to a local
> switch beyond the powerline adapter...

Pretty nice...  I have abused the NetBSD iscsi target a couple of times.
You can present a USB enclosure via iscsi to whatever can use iscsi and
I have done the same with a LVM lv.  I would have expected zvols to work
in the same way.  Glad to hear it does.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org