Re: Server hardware

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, Jan Danielsson wrote:
I normally spend some time before buying new hardware to run NetBSD on, but recently our office router croaked so I was in a hurry to get something to replace it. I looked at the Dell PowerEdge T130, quickly went through the list of the most relevant hardware components and checked if NetBSD appeared to have drivers for them, and it looked promising.

To make a long story short, it failed spectacularly. :) I'll have to run something else on it for now, but this raised a question: Are there any tower servers which are known to work well with NetBSD/amd64 8.1? I'm in no way married to Dell; I just went with them because I've had two different PowerEdge 1U servers which I have run NetBSD/amd64 5, 6 and 7, and they worked well.

I think the Lenovo ST550 should work well even with hardware RAID. The only thing that won't is the onboard Ethernet (or LOM Ethernet on the other ThinkSystem models) as the Intel X722 chip is not supported.

https://lenovopress.com/lp1055-thinksystem-st550-server-xeon-sp-gen-2

--
Stephen