Re: where are graph algorithms used under an operating system project?

Le 2019-05-17 09:41, Mayuresh Kathe a écrit :
due to a lack of background in formal computer science, i was under the
impression that graph algorithms are only useful in networking related
applications/areas. just noticed that even scheduling requires some level of graph algorithm knowledge. am i right in my reading/observation? if not which areas of an operating system require a good grasp of graph algorithms?
thank you.

FMHO, an operating system has to be efficient and maintainable. And I am not sure it is a reasonable idea to implement graph algorithms (in a general way) in OS. But special cases of graphs as lists or trees are commonly used (e.g red-black trees had been used to implement a scheduler on Linux). When you talk about graph algorithms, it sounds to my ears as Dijkstra or Ford-Fulkerson, and I am not sure these algorithms are implemented in OS. But sure that lists and trees are used for schedulers, filesystems and probably a lot of other stuffs...