Re: GPT BIOS boot

Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:

> But that's just plain insane ... if that matches your setup, you should
> start again.  For raid it is even more important than with normal FFS
> that the blocks be sensibly aligned, and while 34 is (marginally) better
> than 63, that's all it is.   64 would be better (it is at least a power of
> 2, if a small one).

It matches the most obvious setup where the RAID contains just a GPT
followed by a FFS partition, but indeed, there is room for improvement.

We could have an installboot(8) option for that. Something like:
installboot -o raid1_root_start=34 /dev/rdk1 bootxx_ffsv2

installboot(8) could detect the GPT-inside-RAID1 situation, inspect the
GPT and set the appropriate value correctly.

Opinions?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz