Re: Rock-solid USB ethernet adapters?

> On May 19, 2019, at 1:07 AM, Mark Carroll <mtbc%ixod.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> Still, it's easy to change the plug-in adapter. I thus wondered if
> there's some easily obtained USB ethernet adapter that is well-known for
> being rock solid with NetBSD in case I should just try one of those.

Hi Mark,

You reminded me that I have a couple shady looking USB ethernet adapters I acquired and I never tested.

[1] The first device (KY-RD9700) uses the udav driver. VERY slow, but seems to be stable:

  udav0: SUNRISING (0xfe6) USB 2.0 10/100M Ethernet Adaptor (0x9700), rev 1.10/1.01, addr 5

[2] Second device (QTS-LAN8152B) uses the ure driver. Much faster and also seems to be stable:

  ure0: Realtek (0xbda) USB 10/100 LAN (0x8152), rev 2.10/20.00, addr 6
  ure0: RTL8152 ver 4c10

I did some light testing (ssh, scp, cvs, git) with both of these on an Intel NUC (NUC5CPYH) running current.

I also scp'ed a 100MiB file from another computer on my lan with all 3 ethernet devices I had for the NUC:

ure0 (usb): 18.81s
udav0 (usb): 151.60s
re0 (on board PCIe): 3.63s

Not sure how easy these are to find online. I picked them both up at Sim Lim Square in Singapore but at least it’s another data point that I hope is helpful.

Best of luck,
Travis

[1] https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/tpaul/public/netbsd/hardware/usb/ethernet/KY-RD9700.jpg
[2] https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/tpaul/public/netbsd/hardware/usb/ethernet/QTS-LAN8152B.jpg