A lightweight authentication scheme for website

This is probably an OT. Apologies for the same.

I am looking for a lightweight authentication scheme for a community
website where:

- the user count would never grow beyond 300 or so
- all user's email ids would be pre-regsitered, no "register me" link
  needed
- `change my password' is nice to have but not strictly necessary (can
  manage with system generated passwords sent to pre-registered users)
- the content on the website is mostly static html, documents etc. no
  interactive forms etc.
- would be preferable if the method works with a lightweight httpd like
  bozotic, but that's not strictly necessary.

I like the simpicity of htpasswd method. But not being able to logout is
a little undesirable.

If my understanding is right, the web server supported (`standard'?)
methods are limited to just htpasswd.

Looked for lightweight frameworks where I may get this functionality
easily and zeroed on python-flask. Yet to explore in detail, but that's
not still looking as light as I'd have imagined.

Would be interesting to know simple authentication solutions used in
NetBSD community for above scenario.

Mayuresh