Re: upgrade - what will happen?

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 09:26:14AM +0200, Fekete Zoltán wrote:
> However I've a question regarding pkgsrc. There are several own-backed pkgsrc packages (build is performed always on the backup machine, and pkgin is used to update the online server) installed.
> If I upgrade the kernel and the core system to 8.0, what will happen to the packages which are still built for 7.2?
> Would they work? If not, what's the recommended way to upgrade them?

I did exactly that on several production servers, and all worked fine.

Later I ran into pkg specific issues and had to upgrade some of them
(and their depends), and that is where you really get out of "supported
configuration" mode for pkgsrc (since all pkgs installed are now from
different versions of the pkgsrc tree). But overall it still works
quite good, and I am (slowly) preparing for the full move to update
them all.

Martin