Re: pkg/54123 (crash trying 'pkgin upgrade' with locally built pkg_summary)

At Sat, 20 Apr 2019 13:20:03 +0100, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: pkg/54123 (crash trying 'pkgin upgrade' with locally built pkg_summary)

> I have always used
>
> cd /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All ; ( for i in *.tgz; pkg_info -X $i )  |
> bzip2 > pkg_summary.bz2

Ah,  that is interesting.

I don't see how or why "pkg_info -X" should produce different results
when looking at the .tgz vs. what is in /var/db/pkg.  (without looking
at the code, that is)

I would call that a bug -- especially since it isn't documented as a
feature!

OK, I'll give that a try....

# pkgin upgrade
calculating dependencies...done.

6 packages to refresh:
  perl-5.28.0nb2 yajl-2.1.0nb1 python27-2.7.15nb1 glib2-2.56.2nb3 m4-1.4.18nb1 autoconf-2.69nb8

4 packages to upgrade:
  py27-curses-2.7.15nb5 osabi-NetBSD-8.99.32 libarchive-3.3.3 automake-1.15.1nb1

6 to refresh, 4 to upgrade, 0 to install
0B to download, 85M to install

proceed ? [Y/n]
refreshing perl-5.28.0nb2...
refreshing yajl-2.1.0nb1...
refreshing python27-2.7.15nb1...
refreshing glib2-2.56.2nb3...
No schema files found: doing nothing.
refreshing m4-1.4.18nb1...
refreshing autoconf-2.69nb8...
pkg_install warnings: 0, errors: 2
pkg_install error log can be found in /var/db/pkgin/pkg_install-err.log
upgrading py27-curses-2.7.15nb5...
upgrading osabi-NetBSD-8.99.32...
upgrading libarchive-3.3.3...
upgrading automake-1.15.1nb1...
pkg_install warnings: 0, errors: 0
reading local summary...
processing local summary...

Well I'll be...   It worked!  Thanks!

OK, that's definitely a bug in 'pkg_info -X', IMNSHO.

Now I'll have to sort the chunks in each differently produced
pkg_summary file to try doing a diff between them....

> This gives me the older versions of packages as well, should I need
> them (and I do - e.g. qemu-3.1.0nb4.tgz was produced from
> wip/qemu-nvmm, whereas qemu-3.1.0nb5.tgz from emulators/qemu, a rather
> different one, ten times the size).

However that is an important distinction to be sure!

I don't expect I would need the older packages quite so often, given I
static-link as many packages as possible (and I've tweaked pkgsrc where
necessary to not record the library-only, i.e. now build-only,
dependencies as runtime dependencies), though I've been unable to
eliminate quite as much interdependency as I would have hoped.

On the other hand part of the remaining problem is in how dependencies
are specified for packages providing shared libraries and other less
explicit A"B"Is.  (The "B" in quotes because I'm referring more to the
more dynamic interfaces outside of binary executables, such as file
formats, command-line options, etc.)

+1 250 762-7675                           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>