Re: Swap over NFS

On Tue 02 Apr 2019 at 16:28:36 +0200, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
> I can do a swapon directly on a file. But as I haven't found other
> information (and as this feature doesn't work on several Unix), I have
> tried to follow NetBSD documentation...

It has been a long while since I tried it last, but I seem to remember
that you can also mount a file, not just a directory on a directory. Is
that something you tried as well?

I found this in /etc/fstab in my former diskless Sun3:

nfshost:/usr/export/swap-sun           none    swap sw,nfsmntpt=/swap

where /usr/export/swap-sun is a file on the nfshost, and /swap is a
directory inside the Xkernel-root.

/etc/init is a shell script and it contains (among other things)

# Mount NFS filesystems.
#
# Under normal Xkernel 2.0 setup, you do NOT need to perform ANY NFS
# mounts yourself.  The root directory is mounted by the kernel, and
# you need nothing else.  However, it is possible that because of some
# local wierdity (e.g. you cannot run the font server) you must mount
# some NFS file systems.  Now is a good time.
#
if [ -f /etc/fstab ]; then
 mount -a -v -t nfs
fi

# Turn on swapping, maybe it's over NFS

swapon -a

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- if you're unable...to Speak." - Agent Elrond