Re: Portable Makefile ideas

At Sun, 31 Mar 2019 17:26:59 -0700, Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Portable Makefile ideas

> Not disagreeing at all with any of the previous, but I'd be really
> interested in a pointer to the new "more portable mk files" you mention,
> with a view to updating them in pkgsrc.

Ah, yes, they're just the ones Simon distributes with Bmake itself.
They are also separately available as:

	http://www.crufty.net/ftp/pub/sjg/mk/
	http://www.crufty.net/ftp/pub/sjg/mk.tar.gz

I can attest that they already do the right thing for making shared
libraries on macOS (I test builds of my small projects with the Bmake
installed by Homebrew), and I'm sure they work similarly well for other
supported platforms as well.  When using pkgsrc on macOS I cannot build
shared libraries with the pkgsrc bmake.

Simon's mk-files have fallen a little behind NetBSD's own though, for
example his <bsd.prog.mk> doesn't support PROGS (just the old singular
form).  (On the other hand they're ahead on auto-objdir support, though
still not quite as clean and transparent as FreeBSD with WITH_AUTO_OBJ.)

I'm not sure they could be a direct replacement for bootstrap-mk-files,
though ideally that's what they would be.  I haven't had time to try
actually building stuff on my iMac with pkgsrc in a very long time, so
unfortunately I'm not really in a position to test them at the moment.

You can see the makefiles I've been testing of late here:

	https://github.com/robohack/yajl
	https://github.com/robohack/librsync

(those get rid of the two things for which otherwise I would need CMake)
(ctwm would be another, but with it in NetBSD and pkgsrc that problem is
not mine!)

+1 250 762-7675                           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>