Re: My packages are SO hosed.

Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> writes:

> Full Big-Dummy Disclosure: Yes, I had not correctly parsed the
> pkg_delete option '-r', and thought it meant "We will get rid of the
> pkgs dependent on x11-links but not delete x11-links itself." Then,
> in a fit of impulsiveness, I decided I needed x11-links (heck, it
> seems to show up everywhere...), which led to about an hour and half
> of pkgsrc building. But here's the rub:
>
> ===> Installing binary package of osabi-NetBSD-8.99.35
> pkg_add: A different version of osabi-NetBSD-8.99.35 is already
> installed: osabi-NetBSD-8.0
> pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
> *** Error code 1
>
> BUT:
>
> # pkg_delete -f osabi-NetBSD
> pkg_delete: No matching package for basename `osabi-NetBSD' of
> `osabi-NetBSD'
>
> And, no surprise here:
>
> # pkg_delete -f osabi-NetBSD-8.0
> pkg_delete: No matching package for basename `osabi-NetBSD-8.0' of
> `osabi-NetBSD-8.0'
>
> My spidey-sense is warning me that my pkg collection is seriously
> corrupt, and that I ought to give equally serious consideration to
> beginning over again, with a fresh install of -current.

That's too drastic.

First, I think osabi is the name and NetBSD-8.0 is the version.

So use the tools to look at and fix up things:

$ pkg_info
$ cd /var/db/pkg && ls -l
$ sudo pkg_admin check
$ sudo pkg_admin rebuild-tree

and then see what you think.

Also, if you install and use ccache, then a rebuild isn't as painful.