Re: Portable Makefile ideas

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 09:14:45PM +0000, Sad Clouds wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:53:21 +0100
> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
>
> > http://downloads.kergis.com/kertex/risk_comp_1.16.9.0.tar.gz
> >
> > It cost me at the beginning less time to write it than to try to
> > understand how the other tools work (and not all have the
> > requirements I mentionned).
>
> Hello, thanks for the link. I had a look your tool, but it's not as
> simple as I wanted it to be. If I understand this correctly, you use
> lex, yacc, sed, awk and sh tools to generate makefiles. I think for my
> needs, it would be simpler to skip all that and just have simple
> makefiles to begin with, that depend on a particular brand of make, like
> GNU or BSD.

No, it uses only sh, sed, ed, grep, cat... a total of less than 10
utilities; awk is only used for statistics if
required and is not used normally; and lex and yacc are not used for building the Makefiles. The
rules are generated for lex and yacc, if needed in the Makefile, but
there are not used.

But as I said, the main problem is that it was not intended to go in the
wild so I only have notes and didn't make a documentation for others to
use.

All in all, such a solution is simple and
unfortunately it is even simpler to start from scratch with what one
needs instead of trying to understand one already existing. You need just
to make initial decisions so that it can grow and adapt for
cross-compilation and differing OSes when the need arises.

A caveat: I had to adjust what I use in the shell since the POSIX
specification, used initially, is not supported by all Bourne like
shells, and I fallback to the very basic in order to not require, on
differing OSes a special version of shell (the alternative being to
provide the set of utilities I use, bootstrapping the build on whatever
OS; but I didn't go that far for now).
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/