Re: Ethernet auto-select and concurrent 10, 100 and 1000 connections

On 03/02/2019 12:07, Sad Clouds wrote:
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 11:27:07 +0100
tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:

With all your help and from this summary, I suspect that the probable
culprit is 3) above (linked also to 2) but mainly 3): an instance
of Samba, serving a 10T or a 100T request is blocking on I/O,

You must have some ancient hardware that is not capable of utilising
full network bandwidth.

I have Sun Ultra10 with 440MHz CPU, this has a 1000baseT PCI network
card, but when sending TCP data it can only manage around 13 MiB/sec.
Looking at 'vmstat 1' output it is clear that CPU is 100% busy, 50%
system + 50% interrupt.

ultra10$ ifconfig wm0
wm0: flags=0x8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         capabilities=2bf80<TSO4,IP4CSUM_Rx,IP4CSUM_Tx,TCP4CSUM_Rx>
         capabilities=2bf80<TCP4CSUM_Tx,UDP4CSUM_Rx,UDP4CSUM_Tx,TCP6CSUM_Tx>
         capabilities=2bf80<UDP6CSUM_Tx>
         enabled=0
Any reason you aren't using the hardware offload capability of this interface? The card supports checksum ofloading for v4 &v6 frames and also the ofloading of some of the TCP stack work for V4 this might help your performance. Loogking at this output I'd suggest adding the following to your ifconfig.wm0 file:
tso4 ip4csum tcp4csum

Not exactly sure on the options for the V6 stuff (check the ifconfig man page). My wm card has more v6 offload so I don't think the v6 options I use would work.

I suspect the offload would give you more of a boost than on my 2-4GHz amd64 systems but even on those its quit noticable the difference that turning these on makes.

Mike