Re: Video Driver for Intel - resolution stuck at 800x600

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 07:36:19 -0500
Ron Georgia <netverbs%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> " Why not just run NetBSD-current if that works with your card?"
> A most excellent question, with a relatively embarrassing answer: I
> am not sure how to keep NetBSD-current, current. I am part of the
> NetBSD-current mailing list and read about different issues others
> are experiencing; however, I do not really know how to update the
> base OS or apply a particular (suggested) patch. I did read the "
> Tracking NetBSD-current" page, but it seems confusing to me.

Don't really need to update it, it's not like you're running a mission
critical server. Get latest daily NetBSD-current, if it works OK, just
keep it, until you get bored and feel like you need to update.

The actual update can be quite simple:

1. Download NetBSD binary sets

2. Extract kernel, copy to /netbsd and make sure it boots OK

3. 'cd /' and then for each set (except etc.tgz and xetc.tgz) do 'tar
-zxpf $set.tgz'

4. Run 'etcupdate' and follow instructions, see man page.

Alternatively you can backup your data, wipe out NetBSD on disk and do
new install. NetBSD installer is very quick, not like Linux or Solaris.