Re: Raspberry Pi as bridge

Jörn Clausen <joernc%googlemail.com@localhost> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to use a Raspberry Pi running
>
> NetBSD armv7 8.99.30 NetBSD 8.99.30 (RPI2)
>
> as a bridge to extend my WiFi net to some devices. I have two NICs,
> usmsc0 (internal RJ45) and urtwn0 (WiFi USB). urtwn0 is up and running
> and works as desired. I have followed the bridge instructions in the
> NetBSD guides, i.e.
>
> $ cat /etc/ifconfig.bridge0
> create
> !brconfig $int add urtwn0 add usmsc0 up
>
> tcpdump on either interface shows that broadcast packages are passed
> between interfaces, but nothing else. A DHCP request coming in via
> usmsc0 from a device is visible on urtwn0 but is not passed on to my
> DHCP server.
>
> I have
>
> net.inet.ip.forwarding = 1
>
> and because it sounded helpful also
>
> net.inet.ip.subnetsarelocal = 0
>
> but no change.
>
> Any ideas? Is the Raspi kernel missing something that makes it
> unusable as a bridge?
>
> Joern

This set up may not work.  A Xen Linuxcentric page:

https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_in_WiFi_networks

talks of some of the problems in that world, but I personally have never
been able to get this sort of thing to function with NetBSD having tried
it a couple of times over the years.

You can remove DHCP from the mix by using a static IP, but even with
that I have not seen this work with the mix of hardware I have had on
hand.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org