Re: choosing a lightweight database

On Jan 17,  1:44pm, Robert Elz wrote:
}
}     Date:        Wed, 16 Jan 2019 19:10:54 -0800
}     From:        John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost>
}     Message-ID:  <201901170310.x0H3AsGP014656%server.cornerstoneservice.ca@localhost>
}
}   |      If you're using the package, then it is:
}   |
}   | mysqld=YES              mysqld_datadir="/usr/local/mysql"
}
} But doesn't that put all databases there?   That's not the idea, I
} just want one partticular database in one particular directory,
} everything else can go where it chooses, or some default if
} it doesn't.

     Ah okay, missed that part.  By far the easiest solution to
the above is to only use the server for things that you want
encrypted (it is possible to run multiple instances of MySQL on
the same system if you really want).

     If you really want to move just certain tables (the main
database will still be located in the data directory) then have a
look at the following links:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/data-directory.html
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/innodb-system-tablespace.html
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/innodb-init-startup-configuration.html

Note that usernames and passwords will be stored in the 'user'
table located in the 'mysql' database.  Passwords are hashed, but
not necessarily with a modern hash algorithm.  The rest of the
information will be unencrypted.

     However, I'm going to re-iterate what I said above.  If you
want it encrypted then the best solution is to encrypt everything.
I don't know much about cgd(4), but I will point out that if you
value your data, then fsync() had better work (some operating
systems are known to return before the data is fully written to
disk).  Given that this is NetBSD and things are generally done
properly, I expect that it does.

}-- End of excerpt from Robert Elz