Re: Setting up postfix

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 07:47:28PM +0100, Csányi Pál wrote:
I am following https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-mail.html
chapter to set up mail on my old laptop.

Hi!

I believe you just want to send and receive e-mails from your mail server, don't you? If so, I recommend installing a simple MTA from pkgsrc. I use mail/msmtp. Then, in /etc/mailer.conf you change the "sendmail" line to point to /usr/pkg/bin/msmtp. To retrieve e-mail via IMAP I use pkgsrc's mail/isync.

I have done a complete Postfix setup before, but only when configuring a full SMTP server, not using it as a local MTA to send e-mail from applications like mutt.

The chapter should be updated to deal with all the "new" stuff e-mail requires, like using the submission port, using STARTTLS (or SSL), etc., when configuring mail servers, and have examples on using simple tools (like msmtp or isync) for normal users.