Re: choosing a lightweight database

On Jan 16,  1:12pm, Greg Troxel wrote:
} John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> writes:
}
} > } If it turns out your data size or query/update rate is too much, I would
} > } use postgres.  I know you said you don't want a process, but unlike
} > } mysql postgres is really easy to set up.
} >
} >      It would be nice to get rid of some of the FUD around here.
} > MySQL is quite simple to setup, especially if you're installing it
} > from pkgsrc.  mysql-cluster is complex to setup, but that is for
} > master-master replication with redundancy.  The regular mysql-server
} > is just pkgin mysql-server, set the "root" password and you're off
} > to the races.
}
} That wasn't my experience.  WIth pgsql, I was able to just 'createuser'
} the username matching the one the daemon that wants to use it.  With

     The flip side to this is that I don't know anything about
pgsql, so 'createuser' isn't going to jump out at me without reading
documentation.

} mysql, there was a bunch of stuff about creating username/password pairs
} and for a particular db-using application, it was a lot more work to get

     You could just tell your application to use "root" but that
would be spectacularly dumb.  If you value security in even the
tiniest amount, then you obviously have to create accounts for
different users.

} things to actually run correctly.   My memory, which could be off, is
} that I also had to configure it not to listen beyond localhost.

     This is potentially a valid argument and perhaps the package
should be adjusted.  The flip side is that it is a network application
and most network applications come configured to listen to the
network out of the box.

} But, the pkgsrc package was indeed first class, and things were only
} annoying at the 30-minute level.

     mysql and pgsql are both enterprise level database servers.
And, as such, neither should be expected to be plug and play.
However, a lot of it boils down to what you're used to using.  The
same argument would apply to configuring apache vs. nginx, or any
other high end server.  A basic setup of MySQL is just not that
difficult, but if you're not accustomed to it, it is going to take
some work.

}-- End of excerpt from Greg Troxel