Re: choosing a lightweight database

reed%reedmedia.net@localhost writes:

> Around 200 attributes, but not all for each.
>
> Also I have key/values like
>  FOO-notes="for supplementing text for FOO"
> And description and direction fields with sentences.
>
> The values may be free form text, numbers, boolean yes/no (some values
> are links to other files).
>
> I generate static webpages easily from this (and can dynamically
> generate webpages easily).
>
> Storing this in Berkeley DB would be easy.
>
> But I want an easy way to search everything like:
>
> country=ca
> province=alberta
> elevation>=1524 meters
> cost<=5
>
> or keyword searches against description fields.

If you don't want a db process, I would try sqlite and as long as it
holds up stick with it.

If it turns out your data size or query/update rate is too much, I would
use postgres.  I know you said you don't want a process, but unlike
mysql postgres is really easy to set up.

And, it sounds like you should be contributing to openstreetmap :-)