Re: Mailing list manager on NetBSD

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 03:38:35PM -0200, Silas wrote:
> There are some caveats, like not managing bouncing (there are cases when the
> student is not registered anymore and his e-mail account is cancelled, but
> it is still on the list -- it is just an alias --, they doesn't seem to have
> a fully automated solution!), but I can't remember of other big problems
> they had with this approach.

The is indeed an interesting solution. BTW postfix does have a way to
redirect bounces from an alias to a specific id specified as
`owner-aliasname' (man 5 postconf).

> Mailing list managers insert headers and contents to make e-mails match with
> (kind of) recent e-mail rules for mailing lists.  This is specially
> important if you are going to deliver to other SMTP servers.

I am testing things on a really small list right now to discover these
things. As yet the mails have not bounced. But may be I can study headers
of mailing lists and do the same in mine. That is very easy with
header_checks.

> But since it is an internal solution, you see any other problems with the
> approach of just using Postfix aliases?

I am yet to solve one issue : how to restrict sending mails to a list to
the members of the list only. postfix documentation [1] does give this
scenario, but I find the documentation to be cryptic and things aren't yet
working.

Since your friend runs multiple lists, may be he has been able to put such
restriction. Please do share if you can.

Mayuresh

[1] /usr/share/examples/postfix/RESTRICTION_CLASS_README