Re: Booting NetBSD 8 install image on PC Engines apu2d4 via serial console goes blank

On 12/31/2018 7:35 AM, Mike Pumford wrote:
On 30/12/2018 15:59, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
I'm trying to install NetBSD 8 on a PC Engines apu2d4
   https://www.pcengines.ch/apu2d4.htm
via a USB thumb drive with a NetBSD 8 install image
https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.0/images/NetBSD-8.0-amd64-install.img.gz

Yes but you need to reconfigure the bootloader (which can be done on an existing NetBSD system) to set things up so the kernel uses the serial console. The other alternative (assuming you are able to do keyboard input) is to set the console to com0 using the interactive bootloader.

For installboot assuming the usb install image is detected as sd0 on another netbsd system you can do:

installboot -e -o console=com0 /dev/rsd0a

You should also be able to do the same thing when installing as well. One thing I found with this is that this stopped the keyboard working in the bootloader but I didn't figure out why.

One other thing is I'd recommend a recent (last 2weeks or newer) 8.0 snapshot as this contains the change that makes NetBSD recognise the APU SATA controller properly although I've found it works pretty well with an high speed SD card as the disk.

ACPI and SMP both work perfectly.

IME, Pascal is pretty supportive of FOSS efforts.  You should try to keep him
in the loop and perhaps gain some additional insights that he/they can offer.