Re: Booting NetBSD 8 install image on PC Engines apu2d4 via serial console goes blank

jlmuir%imca-cat.org@localhost ("J. Lewis Muir") writes:

Hi,

>via a serial console where I can get to the welcome screen of the
>installer image

>  Welcome to the NetBSD/amd64 8.0 installation image
>  ===============================================================================

At this point you are talking to the boot loader that still uses BIOS
or UEFI for output. The BIOS might transparently redirect screen output
to the serial port.

The next messages should come from the just loaded kernel, the kernel
however no longer uses BIOS routines but sends messages directly to the
screen. You have to tell the kernel to use the serial port.

When the menu appears you can "drop to the boot prompt" and enter commands,
e.g.:

consdev com0

to select COM1 (DOS starts counting from 1) and then

boot

to start NetBSD.

Hope this helps,
                                Michael van Elst